JC Sandalwood is a fascinating example for our impact investing approach (www.jcii.earth). Together with our co-investors, our investment capital (and entrepreneurial resources) enables JC Sandalwood to massively contribute uniquely to many SDGs.
SAVING AN ENDANGERED SPECIES
- Sandalwood has been on the Red List of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) as an endangered species for years.
- Our project contributes to preventing the extinction of this, in many aspects, valuable tree species. In a letter to Quintis, IUCN praised this active approach.
REFORESTATION & CLIMATE ACTION
- No forests were cleared for our sandalwood trees. Only areas that were previously used for monoculture or pasture (e.g., grazing land, cattle ranching, cultivating peanut or sugar cane) were selected. These were then carefully reforested into mixed forests with the hemi-parasite sandalwood and suitable host trees.
- The JC Sandalwood mixed forests include about 1.5 million trees in total. Of these, more than 270,000 are sandalwood trees, the rest are host plants.
- Sustainable cultivation practices (GMO free, drip irrigation etc.) promote the mixed forests’ ability to sequester above-average amounts of CO2. A mature sandalwood tree absorbs approximately 21kg of CO2, according to one study made.
- Mixed forest cultivation supports the development of soil quality, as it reduces soil salinity and counteracts soil erosion.
- The variety of trees have a positive effect on the groundwater table thanks to their different root systems.
- The sandalwood mixed forests provide a new home for many animals. More than 100 different species of animals and birds have been counted in the sandalwood mixed forests.
- The soil quality and the underground organic life becomes extraordinary rich. Although obvious on sight, this remains to be further scientifically researched.
nce risk coverage for all Quintis sandalwood forests.
”Impact investing means considering people, planet, and profits equally.
It focuses your view on the holistic contribution your investment can make.
You earn entrepreneurial returns by creating sustainable good.”
Sandalwood has been used in traditional alternative medicine (Ayurveda, TCM) and aroma therapy since thousands of years. Through scientific studies, various healing effects of sandalwood have been verified and proven. Confirming anti inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-mycotic and anti-proliferative properties.
JC Sandalwood’s partner Quintis produces a sandalwood oil in pharmaceutically pure quality. Only oil of this quality can be used for the production ofmedicines. Over the past years, Quintis has started several clinical trials (mostly dermatological diseases) and commissioned further studies. A prescriptive sandalwood-based drug may be some years away from FDA approval, but the academic evidence is long proven. Especially the blasting effect against MRSA (multi-resistant pathogenes/germs) offers a unique healing opportunity.
Natural sandalwood oil of the Santalum Album species with its highest quality α- and β-santalol is bound to enable unique medicinal products.
SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION & PROCESSING
By integrating the entire sandalwood production process, our partner Quintis has control, from seedling to the end product, and can thus implement and maintain high standards of quality and sustainability. Three examples:
- Sandalwood seedlings are raised GMO free in the own nursery and have an above average survival rate
- Drip irrigation is used to save precious water
- Up to 97% of the water used in the sandalwood oil distillery is recycled and re-used.
Quintis has ISO-certified processes for health management, safety management, gender equality and the promotion of the indigenous population.